flickr

www.flickr.com

9.02.2010

To Lead or to Follow? [That is the question.]





I was reading through my Holga manual recently.  I love that they give you so much information on the camera including it's history, features and a ton of tips.

After the INTRODUCTION is the section titled HOLGA SENSIBILITY.

A Holga is a study in plastic imperfection, and to use it is an exercise in
breaking free from dependence on technology, precision, and ubersharpness.
The slight softness of the images, uncontrollable vignetting and peculiar light leaks create a partnership between you and your Holga. These“flaws”, accompanied by your creative choices, result in a quasiserendipitous form of art.

A Holga stretches our visual perception. Using a Holga adds another facet to
the way we see the world. We notice more things, and thus we examine and
evaluate their status.

A Holga is an educator teaching us a new visual vocabulary with which to
describe our world.

A Holga is a rule breaker. To use a Holga is to utterly change the terms of
reference most people use to interpret photography.

 
 
Can you guess what resonated with me the most?  Exactly: A Holga is a rule breaker.  I have been told numerous times recently (by the same person) that I should follow the rules more often... that the rules are there for a reason.  This got me thinking.  Sure, the rules are there for some reason or another, but as we all know, many people would argue that rules are made to be broken.  That's not really my mentality when I run across the street even when the sign isn't flashing the white walking people.  But, what if following the rules is just not ingrained in me?  What if my personality begs to differ?


My entire life, I have consciously tried to go against the grain in one way or another.  Whether that was not buying the same brand of clothes as everyone else or bucking the system by telling a cop exactly what I thought of him.  Over the years, I have relaxed about some things, and honed my sense about others.  The point is that I think I came into this world that way.  I am not a sheep-- as I was told by a good friend today.  And I am pretty sure that part of my personality is never going to change.  Some people abide and others don't.  I mean, how boring would the world be if we all walked around following all the rules all the time?  Who made all these rules anyway?  I mean, seriously...




In the spirit of being a rule breaker, when I went out with my Holga 135 BC a couple more times recently, I didn't use any filters and chose to shoot from the hip.  I am [obviously] still getting acquainted with Holga.  She is definitely a fickle broad.  Only a handful turned out.  These are my faves...




 






2 comments:

  1. My favorite picture is the Ooh-La-La...for obvious reasons. Regarding the rule breaking: in general, not being a sheep is clearly a good thing. However, rules are good when they 1)protect those who deserve to be protected and 2)keep one from destroying oneself. Ask yourself if any of the rules you are breaking are doing either.

    I like the photos. I should have checked this out a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember you getting in much trouble per say but I can certainly see the mischievous side to you.

    BTW...you have quite the eye for framing a photograph.

    ReplyDelete